Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wisdom Wednesdays: Tolerance



This week I was especially drawn to writing about tolerance, because I feel like lately, this country is lacking it. I’m talking tolerance towards those that we disagree with AND tolerance towards those that disagree with us. Alas, some quotes for this Wednesday:

“Yes, we are all different. Different customs, different foods, different mannerisms, different languages, but not so different that we cannot get along with one another. If we will disagree without being disagreeable.” – J. Martin Kohe

Unless you’ve been isolated from technology lately, I’m sure that you’ve seen coverage on Chick-fil-A. Why this whole situation has surprised so many people, I’m not so sure. Chick-fil-A is a Christian owned company, closed on Sundays, and this belief guides the whole morality and choices of the company. Everybody who's ever tried to grab waffle fries on a Sunday knows this! Controversial coments made by the company's president about his belief of what constitutes a marriage caused a huge uproar on both sides. It got loud really quick. Yesterday for some reason I was watching Comedy Central and The Daily Show was on. Y’all this episode was hysterical. Check it out (PS don't be scared by the link title...it's chickens, obvi):

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-july-30-2012/cock-blockers

“I think people have to set up little battles. They have to demonize people whom they disagree with or feel threatened by.”
-Barbara Kruger

No matter what you believe, I think we need to remind ourselves that we will inherently disagree on important issues. However, we can still respect one another, LISTEN to one another, and most importantly not tear the disagreeing party down because they don't think like you do. We can agree to disagree. Whether you be guided by religion, personal reasons and experiences, or other reasons - you are entitled to your belief and opinion. That’s what this country is based upon right? Freedom of speech...freedom to choose. I just wish we were more respectful of one another when we are speaking.

So here’s to tolerance. And not screaming at and disrespecting those that don’t agree with us. Which reminds me, I'd like to apologize to all the Vegans out there. I have always struggled trusting people who don't eat cheese. But in the spirit of tolerance and respect for those that forgo gouda...I will agree to disagree! :)

“And as I've gotten older, I've had more of a tendency to look for people who live by kindness, tolerance, compassion, a gentler way of looking at things.”
-Martin Scorsese

xox
Lauren

No comments :

Post a Comment

Y'all, comments are my jam! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.