Wednesday, October 10, 2012

WW: Being a good neighbor

Happy Wednesday y'all!

"The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." -Mark 12:31



So, question: do you know your neighbors? Like, REALLY know your neighbors? When Jeff and I lived in Las Vegas we didn't know one neighbor. Not one. In fact, the only time I think we met A neighbor, was when one of our pipes busted and we flooded their backyard.

Last night we had our next-door neighbors over for dinner as a thank you for helping with our dogs. They are both from the northeast, two young boys, and great people. Two bottles of wine and several hours later we wrapped up the night. Great conversation and fabulous night.

“Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.” ― Ruth Reichl

Jeff and I are lucky to have a couple of good friends here in Denver who are just all-around great people. They make a concerted effort to be a good neighbor, truly care about those in their community, and make it a priority to treat them kindly. In fact they go out of their way to do so. Incredible right? Can you imagine if we all had this attitude? What a difference it would make if we went out of our way to be nice to those who live around us, no matter what we have in common.

“What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.” ― Kurt Vonnegut

I think back to Lake Highlands, my Dallas neighborhood where I grew up, and there is such a sense of community there. If one person goes through a tough time or a family tragedy, the entire community rallies behind them. I hope to find a similar community here in Denver one day where we can raise our kids. But today, I am reminded that a good community starts with us. WE create it. Individuals being kind to one another naturally builds community...and better people.

“Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.” - Ben Franklin

I want to commit to being a better neighbor and out-of-my-way caring towards each person I run into. I have a feeling my days will be better for it.

Happy Wednesday neighbor!
Lauren

No comments :

Post a Comment

Y'all, comments are my jam! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.