Friday, February 22, 2013

WW: Solitude.

"We live in a very tense society. We are pulled apart... and we all need to learn how to pull ourselves together....I think that at least part of the answer lies in solitude."  -Helen Hayes


alone9

How do you feel about being alone? I haven't really thought about it much until the other weekend I spent Friday-Monday with no other humans in my house. Just the one. My eyes were opened to how ah-mazing it is to be alone. I haven't realized just how much I missed it.

"Finding solitude in the concrete jungle is powerful and peaceful." -Mike Dolan,


empireDuring my stint in New York City I realized how powerful being alone was. I loved the feeling of getting lost in the crowd. You won't understand if you've just visited, but it was invigorating, peaceful and empowering. Walking around the city was where I did my best thinking. I even went to dinner by myself one time, on purpose, and can I tell you...it is still one of my favorite moments. I felt so in touch with myself in that city, very aware of my emotions and of how each experience I had made a big impact on my life. That city does that to you.

"The great omission in American life is solitude; not loneliness, for this is an alienation that thrives most in the midst of crowds, but that zone of time and space, free from the outside pressures, which is the incubator of the spirit".  ~Marya Manne

Life now, though...not much time for solitude. Ever. Being a stay-at-home mom doesn't give you any alone time, I don't go to work and get a break from Coop. He's like, always there y'all, even when I take a shower I have ten little fingers pressed against the glass giggling at me.

This past weekend, however, I had the whole weekend to myself. The. whole. weekend. My husband was shocked I didn't fill up my evenings with friends, but can I tell you, I just wanted to be alone.

"Only in quiet waters do thing mirror themselves undistorted.  Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."  ~Hans Margolius


Some times friends will ask if I get bored being at home with Cooper, or wonder what do I do all day. You don't stop moving. Even when he's napping for 2-3 hours a day, that's just enough time to clean up his toys in the TV room, wash his bottles and/or straighten up the kitchen, and do a load of laundry. And than he's up again and there will soon be another mess for me to clean up.

I love my job. And, it is a job. I wouldn't trade it for the world. However, this past weekend I realized the importance of being alone every now and then. It truly is good for the soul.

 "Be still and know that I am in God." -Psalm 46:10



Here's to taking more time for some solitude.


xo
Lauren

1 comment :

  1. Having a day or two for your self alone can be quite refreshing. The world is so fast and busy that we often forgot to stop and look inside, have some alone time. Actually make that three days.. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Y'all, comments are my jam! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.