Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wisdom Wednesdays: Friendships "make life a lot more fun"

“I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let's face it, friends make life a lot more fun.” -Charles R. Swindoll

For those of you that know me, you know that I have been all over and then some. I went to college out of state, where I started knowing just one person, and after a brief time in Texas, I have lived in three brand new cities. That’s five cities total. Is that normal? I’m not so sure, but either way it’s been a wild ride and I have met lots of wonderful folks along the way. I pulled out some oldies but goodies from 3 of the 5 geographical locales:

[caption id="attachment_254" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Dallas..."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_253" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Missouri..."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_255" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Las Vegas..."][/caption]

Today I was reminded of this variety of friendships in my life. Enter my day: this morning I was getting advice on the phone with a high school friend in Dallas, and had a wonderful conversation about our babies. We did have to stop, laugh and acknowledge how drastically our conversations have changed over the past 15 years. At lunch, I met some colleagues that I got to know through my time here in Denver, and had a great time catching up. Later tonight we have a softball game (don't worry, I stay in the grass and avoid the sand at all costs) with some of our, relatively new, good friends. Making new friends and forming new relationships has kind of been my M.O. since high school. Because of my moves, I have been forced again and again (in a totally good way) to put myself there in order to meet new people, and I know I am 100% better for it. It's been a little bit scary, but a whole lot fun. My husband will tell you that I'm a friend-person, and need friends to feel at home wherever I am.

It’s interesting to me the role friends play in our lives from point ‘A’ to points ‘B’ and ‘C.’ Relationships vary so much depending on so many things- like how long you’ve known someone, who you were at the time friendships formed (let’s face it we all change along the way), and where you are in life when you meet new people (aka single, married, kids). I feel lucky to have met some incredible folks along the way, all who mean something different but nonetheless wonderful in my life; I hope I can be a good friend to each one of them. So, today, as I return a phone call to one of my college besties out in Missouri, I am reminded about the importance of our relationships, both new and old, and truly value all of my bi-coastal friendships. Who knows, maybe some life-long friends are soon to be made right here in Colorado; assuming, of course, that I stay in this city longer than the last five☺.

“Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things.” -Author Unknown

Here's to friendship!

6 comments :

  1. Good word my friend! Love thinking back to our adventure off to mid-MO. :) Denver peeps would certainly be lucky to have you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really no better pics of Dallas peeps. Well, maybe I'm the only one that doesn't know how to smile :) but I can find you something much more decent! Don't you love unsolicited comments from friends???

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such an exciting time! I still remember standing in front of Jones waiting for it to open to go unpack our rooms. You've had quite the tour of cities too over the years :). xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm totally confused .. Any tips? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I'm not the best person to ask! I stumbled across a suggestion for WordPress and have been learning as I go. I wish I had known more before I started, it's a bit complicated. I did hear that google offers a pretty user-friendly option. goodl uck!

    ReplyDelete

Y'all, comments are my jam! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.