Friday, April 12, 2013

Spring!

I don't want to brag, but my husband I recently got back from Mexico; WITHOUT my child. I know right? The vacation was so beautiful, perfect sunny weather. It was a bit a shock to come back to 7 degree temps and snow. I mean, really Colorad? STILL snow?



However, today we are back in the 60s and spring has sprung is springing here in Colorado y'all! The rule of thumb here (I quickly learned), is not to plant anything until after Mothers Day, because snow could fall and we could drop into freezing temperatures until then. Strange concept from a girl who grew up in Texas when spring begins in February.




Now that Cooper can actually enjoy the yard, I am excited to make use of our Outdoor Spaces- dress them up a bit. If there is one thing we love about Denver summers, it is cool nights, dry air and unlike my homestate, NO MOSQUITOS! We eat dinner in the backyard almost every night in the summer and clock countless hours outside.



Jeff and I live in a Victorian style house built in 1914, so much charm, but most of these houses are small square footage and even smaller backyards. As luck would have it, the yard we ended up with is on two lots, so we have a rather large side-yard and a backyard. It's like meant for a different woman, y'all, I am underserving of the space and have no idea what to really do with it!



The beginning of Spring brings a fresh, lighter feel, and you want your home and decor to follow suit. Here are my inspirations for our yard:



1. Hanging flower basket. If you've been to any ski town you see these lining the Main Street and they brighten the town. I want one.



[caption id="attachment_1369" align="aligncenter" width="310"]Hanging flower basket. Please disregard the woman in this photo.[/caption]

Click here for directions  if you want to try to make a hanging basket.


2. Porch decor. We have pretty big porch off the back of our Master Bedroom upstairs and it looks West towards the mountains. It is a beautiful view and currently sits empty. Unacceptable. Love the black and white and hanging potted flowers.



[caption id="attachment_1373" align="aligncenter" width="479"]Upstairs porch-living. Upstairs porch-living.[/caption]


3. Whiskey barrels. I love the idea of using old whiskey barrels. I especially love the way this barrel is used as an end table. I plan on replicating and I bought an extra barrell for a tomato plant. Which brings me to my next point...



[caption id="attachment_1370" align="aligncenter" width="664"]End table barrel. End table barrel.[/caption]


4. Vegetable gardens. The green-thumb gene did not fall on this tree. Not my thing, but I want it to be my thing!! I love the idea of picking fresh vegetables from the yard. So I say, start small. I decided to plant one tomato plant (maybe one more small item) in a whiskey barrel, and my mother-in-law also picked up these adorable planters in Glenwood Springs (thanks Joyce!), which I'm going to use for herbs.

 

If this proves successful, I might got for something like this in future. I found this great article about beginners gardening on Pinterest too. In the event I get to this point.

[caption id="attachment_1372" align="aligncenter" width="288"]Beginner garden. Beginner garden.[/caption]

5. Dwarf fruit trees. This may be odd, but I'm obsessed with the idea of fruit trees! If only I lived in California. I found these dwarf trees that retail for $50ish so what the heck, I'm going to try them. You can even order on Amazon, which continues to be the greatest invention of all time.

[caption id="attachment_1371" align="aligncenter" width="350"]Dwarf fruit trees. Dwarf fruit trees.[/caption]

So there you have it. I'm getting giddy just thinking about it. Now I need to get organized and make it happen. What spring plans do you have?

Happy Friday!

Lauren

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Y'all, comments are my jam! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.