Wednesday, April 17, 2013

WW: Resilience.

“A good half of the art of living is resilience.” -Alain de Botton


Thank God, no for real y'all, thank you Lord that little children are resilient.



resil


Cooper is walking now, though I use that term loosely; he prefers to crawl, but he can walk. He can also clear our staircase in under 15 seconds. And he falls. All the time. Mostly on the bum but a lot of times head first into sharp objects. Like this door stopper, hypothetically speaking.

photo (8)

The other day he tumbled- literally did a front roll (slash flip) off of his little chair. NFL style, y'all. Each of the times he tumbles I think, my gosh this is it; THIS is the time I'm going to have to call an ambulance or rush to an emergency room. But every time, he just gets right back up and keeps playing. He is so resilient.

[caption id="attachment_1409" align="alignleft" width="300"]Please note: this is not the actual flip, but a good example on how this flip could occur. Hypothetically. Please note: this is not the actual flip, but a good example on how this flip could occur. Hypothetically.[/caption]

“The human capacity for burden is like bamboo- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.” -Jodi Picoult 


Watching the news and coverage on the bombing at the Boston Marathon has been heartbreaking. I know you agree. With the news this past year I now have a fear of Cooper going to the movies, a public organized event and if I'm being honest- school. It's horrifying and dark. When I lived in New York City I was just a few blocks away from the World Trade Center site. Another terrible event of loss of life, yet the people of Manhattan had such strength and resilience. They almost became more determined to live "life as usual" because they weren't going to let terrorists take any more away from them. People seem to innately find it in them to survive the most horrific of situations. People are resilient.  


"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." -Helen Keller


 I'm not saying that tragedies aren't tragic and heartbreaking, obviously I prefer that innocence be preserved and that bad things not come our way. But they do and it sucks. I'm just grateful that we were created with a "get-back-up" attittude, that I've learned- starts at a very young age.

"Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin to Pooh


I am so grateful for the resiliency of the human spirit and continue to keep thoughts with those that are in a place of suffering today.


Cheers, Lauren


No comments :

Post a Comment

Y'all, comments are my jam! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.