Wednesday, October 16, 2013

WW: Our kids and bullying.

I am fired up.

Like most Americans who have been following the news, this story about bullying has pissed me off. If your not familiar, you can catch up here and here.
plato
Several thoughts entered my mind after initial anger. First of all, these are babies, just 12 and 14 year old kids.

However, that age is right around middle school, which I personally feel is the most difficult stage for a young girl. It's that transition time where you are growing up; getting ready for high school, finding your set of friends and trying to fit in. And let's be honest, it can get a little awkward around that time too.
Mean-Girls-Ruin-Quote
Girls can be mean and not even intend to be. While groups of friends are forming people naturally get left out, which can crush a teenage girl just trying to fit in. Someone intentionally bullying or being mean to someone? I can't imagine the sadness that causes. And forget about electronics and social media, you can't even go home to escape it. Enough. We are the new generation of parents.

We've got to take a hard look at ourselves. Who are we raising? 70% of a toddler's vocabulary is the word no, because that is what they are hearing from their parents all day long! We discipline and have limits to keep them safe and teach them correct behavior. Teaching and discipling does not stop at two years old. What's dangerous at 2 and 12 are different but important nonetheless.

Our generation's kids will have the same insecurities that we had, but they will grow up in a cyber-connected world. They can do way more damage. New lines must be drawn, new precedent's set. We have to have limits with electronics, computers, social media. And for the love of God we must work with our schools and teachers so that those same rules and precedents are also in our schools.
And because I'm still so darn riled up, here's a picture I took of my little nugget this week. Snotty nose and all.
IMG_8165
Phew. That makes me feel better.

Cooper, I pray that you always treat people with kindness and respect. That you never believe cutting someone down builds you up or that someone different is below you. I pray that your dad and I can be tuned into your life and behavior so that we can guide, discipline and teach you.  I pray that you know God, son. Because knowing God ushers love for others through your heart and allows no room for hate.

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." -Ephesians 4:29

xo
Lauren

1 comment :

  1. Fabulous piece on a very tough topic. Love!!

    ReplyDelete

Y'all, comments are my jam! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.